Thursday, September 30, 2010

Raid the Fridge Sammie

Today I was in the mood for something different for lunch. A warm, toasty sandwich was just the ticket!  After a quick rummage through cupboards and fridge I used things I already had on hand to create one awesome sandwich!


We'll call it a "Raid the Fridge Sammie"

Ingredients:
2 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread ("Just say no" to white/bleached/processed flour every chance you get!)
1 Tablespoon Dijonnaise (A Mustard/Mayo spread that only had 5 calories/0 Fat per tablespoon.)
A sprinkle of Pepper Jack Soy Cheese (This is what I had in my fridge. If you have regular cheese, go for it)
Thinly sliced red onion
Couple sliced strips of roasted red peppers
1 Hand full fresh spinach leaves
1/4 of an avocado, thinly sliced

To assemble:
Spread 1 tablespoon of Dijonnaise over a piece of wheat bread and top with a sprinkle of soy cheese, red onion slices and red peppers. 


At this point, go ahead and spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray and let it start heating on the stove top, over medium heat. 
While the pan is heating up, I have a trick I like to do when melting cold cheese and toppings in a sandwich.  To ensure that my cold ingredients heat through and cheese melts well, take this one side of bread and microwave it on a plate, for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until cheese starts to ooze a bit. 
(This way, you don't have to rely on the skillet heat alone to melt cold cheese and heat toppings.  I always found this hard to do without burning the bread.)  

Remove the bread from microwave and add on the spinach and avocado.  Top with the second slice of bread. 


Put sandwich in hot pan cheese side down first.  Another trick when doing big sandwiches is to put an upside-down plant or saucer on top of the sammie. This works to both press the sandwich down and keep heat in.  (Bonus!  When the sandwich is done on both sides, you simply hold the plate, flip the pan over, and viola...sandwich flipped out of the hot pan and on your plate.  Ta-dah!)


Flip sandwich over after about 3-5 minutes of toasting, cheese side down.  Give it another 3-4 minutes to toast the second side.  Once toasted and heated through, you're ready to eat.


You would never miss a morsel of meat in this vegetarian sandwich. 
It tasted very gourmet, like something you would get in a nice bistro for lunch. 


I just used what I had on hand to create this version of the sandwich. 
You can omit or add in whatever you favorite stuffing's are,
...or as in my case, just whatever you had in the fridge. 






2 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! You are making me hungry!!

    Ashley J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!!! these are all my favorites - esp spinach and avacado! awesome!

    ReplyDelete