Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Best Damn BBQ Joint, Martin's BBQ

Food hangover.  Part Deux.

Sunday morning rolls around and I realize we had no plans for the rest of the long weekend.  Odd. Days like this Jim and I like to venture out to a new restaurant to try something new.  But this particular Sunday my wonderful husband decided to make my dreams come true and take me to one of the places featured on Diner's Drive In's and Dives! 

Diner's Drive In's and Dives, or Triple D and I affectionately call it is my all time favorite Food Network shows.  I love local joints off the beaten path.  Here's the link to watch the Triple D Segment at Martin's BBQ.  Go ahead, dare you to watch it.  I know you will want to go after seeing this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/whole-hog/59618.html

Though it is a brand new building for Martin's BBQ, but still has a great homey feel of an old fashion BBQ shack.  When you enter through the screen door (which I loved, very BBQ shack-esque), you follow the line up to the counter and place your order.  They give you a number to place at the table and a foam cup (foam cups=my style) to get your own drink, fast food place style.

It was a Sunday afternoon after Church, granted, but this place was packed!  Jim and I had to wait a few minutes for a table to clear to claim it.  While we ate, there was never not a line formed all the way to the door. I bet the neighbors could hear my stomach growling.  I could see the food at neighboring tables and that one-of-a-kind smell pit BBQ hit us as soon as we stepped out of the car.

I love that the pit for a whole hog is literally in the middle of the restaurant.  Weekends that isn't not above 90 degrees they roast a whole hog overnight Friday night to come off the pit just about dinner time Saturday evening.  The owner of Martin's keeps you posted via Twitter on the progress of the pig and about what time it's going to be ready.  It's so cool to follow it.  This weekend's tweet literally said "Hog's ready y'all come on over", so casual, like a friend calling you over for dinner.  Jim is dying to go down for a Saturday night to see the operation and try his whole hog.

Now, down to the nitty gritty.  What we ate.  I had the Pork BBQ plate with baked beans and Cole slaw.  It's served with Texas Toast, not cornbread or white bread which is what I'm used to in BBQ joints.  I like the Texas Toast better actually.  It sopped up a little of the sauce which made it even better. 
Jim had the Brisket Plate with Hand Cut Fries and Baked Beans. 

This BBQ is melt in your mouth, so moist, so flavorful, but not too flavored you can't taste the meat, kinda of goodness you always search for but rarely find.  The BBQ Sauce is where it's at for me.  Theirs is wonderfully balanced with just enough vinegar and tomato.  If I could have bought some to take home I would have.

I could type paragraphs about how good it is, but I know words will not do it justice.  Yes, it's that good. 
Not only was the BBQ the best, these Baked Beans were phenomenal.  Huge hunks of Pork BBQ chopped in them gave them a rich deep smokey flavor.  Don't miss these when you go.

I've had my fair share of BBQ from places all over Kentucky and Tennessee. This is the best I've ever had. 
My only complaint is that I don't live closer to Martin's BBQ.  Maybe I can talk them in to opening a location in Clarksville?  I think I could keep them in business all by myself.  It's worth falling off the health wagon for, my friends. 

Here is pics of our plates.  If you mouth doesn't water, you're must not be Southern...
Pork BBQ, Cole Slaw and Baked Beans. Served with Buttered Texas Toast

Upside down, but this is Brisket, Baked Beans, and Fries. Also Served with Texas Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment