Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Tailgate Must

My favorite times of year are the days that I can plan a menu around. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Football Saturdays are my top three. Our friend and neighbor across the street is throwing a football kickoff party Saturday evening so I won’t get to do a full menu for our first game day.

Jim, my husband, is still insisting on cooking some of our game favorites for our game early in the day. I’m going to make the Cherry household game day MUST, Stuffed Jalapenos. I’ve seen several variations on this recipe with the jalapenos stuffed with everything from sausage to shrimp. I promise this is the only recipe you will ever need. These reel in compliments every time.

I recommend wearing plastic gloves when you are slicing and seeding your jalapenos. (You will thank me when you go to rub your eye later in the day and you don’t squeal with pain.) If you are not a fan of too much heat, take special care to scrape out most of the white vein inside the jalapeno half. The seeds and the veins are where the heat is hiding in there. If you discard all of that, you are left with a pretty tame flavor even kids could eat.

Also, I use 1/2 -3/4 packet of Italian Dressing mix. 1 Tbs doesn’t add enough flavor for us. I’ve never cooked them on the grill as the recipe says is an option below. In my opinion, bacon never gets fully crisp on a grill. I do however put the wrapped jalapenos on a baking rack, on a foil lined sheet pan. They come out less greasy, and crispy.

If you are looking for a game day nibble that will score some serious points with the team (I know. I'm a cheeseball.), give this recipe a try. 
Note: I never make just 12 of these.  Double it, at least.  Trust me. They go fast.

Recipe by: MICHAEL KING / MONELL'S DINING & CATERING

GRILLED STUFFED BACON WRAPPED JALAPENOS

6 medium size Jalapeno, sliced length wise and seeds removed
1/2 lb cream cheese, soft
1 Tbs dry Italian dressing
4 slices of bacon cut in 3rds - 12 piece
12 tooth picks

Slice Jalapeno in half, length wise from top to bottom. With a spoon or fork, remove seeds. Be very careful not to touch your eyes or mouth while doing this. The more seeds left in the hotter it is.

Mix dry Italian dressing into soften cream cheese. Stuff the insides of the Jalapeno. Wrap in bacon and seal with a tooth pick.

Place these on a grill for 15-20 minutes, with the stuffing facing up. If you don't have a grill, place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes or until the Jalapeno is tender and the bacon is cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment