Monday, September 13, 2010

Nothing says "Thank you" like brownies

I wanted to do something for my friend Lorilee, who helped get this blog looking snazzy.  I figured anyone can go buy a nice bottle of "thank you" wine, but a true food-blogger-wanna-be like myself should bake something to send over. 

How Southern Living of me, right?

I saw this on one the the thousands of food blogs I look at and had been wanting to try these Butterfinger Blondies because the ingredients list was so simple.  (I love a short ingredients list, typically means fewer bowls to clean up after baking.)  They tuned out great, with little bits of Butterfinger running throughout the blondie.

I was a little worried before baking, it was a very odd consistency batter.  So much so, that I double checked the ingredient list to make sure I didn't omit something.  They baked up fine, just know if you try the recipe there is no cause for alarm if it doesn't seem like traditional brownie batter.


 Butterfinger Blondies
2-1/4 Cups Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2-1/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4-Regular Sized Butterfinger candy bars, crushed

I used a zip lock bag and and ice pick to crush the butterfinger. 
I left them a little chunky so you could see them in the brownie.
Do this before you start the recipe so you will have all ingredients ready to combine.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and Flour a 13x9 baking pan.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a meduim bowl, with an electric mixer at meduim speed, combine butter and brown sugar.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.

Brown sugar and butter combined

After eggs and vanilla added

In the process of stirring in the flour mixture. It took some elbow grease!
Stir in the flour mixture and 1 cup crushed butterfingers.

Spread in prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining crushed butterfinger bars over top of batter.

Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the bars are a bit firm to the touch.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Sorry, my "finished product" picture turned out so blurry I won't even bore you with it.  But trust me, they looked great.

One extra note, I let mine cook for 35 minutes.  When I checked on them at 30 minutes they still looked very jiggly in the middle.  Next time, I will pull them out at 30 minutes, even if I'm not sure. They turned out a little firmer than I like my brownies.  I prefer fudgy and gooey.

No comments:

Post a Comment