Friday, September 10, 2010

Presentation is everything.

Luckily my job takes me to the Whole Foods side of time a couple of times a week.  I was near that side of town again today and was wanting something healthy for lunch so I went ahead and braved the torrential downpours and Green Hills traffic to get my Whole Foods Grill fix. 

I passed that semi-circle "The Grill at Green Hill" bar by the produce and seafood counter several times, but never was brave enough to stop and eat there for fear of what I could be missing over by the salad bars, sushi case, and hot bar area.  There is too many yummy lunch options for me to tackle there! One day a couple of months ago I passes someone at that bar having a great looking salmon sandwich so I decided to give it a try. Wow. What a pleasant surprise the Grill was!

The fist time I ate there I had the salmon sandwich and a side salad.  It is a huge portion of salmon that comes fresh out of the seafood cases behind you.  They put it on a fresh roll with fresh baby greens, tomato, and a caper aioli (the day I was there anyway, sandwiches and menu's change daily).  It was FABULOUS!  Not to mention the salad had a hot bacon vinaigrette that was to die for. 

It was like waving bait in front of a bass fish, I was hooked.  I eat there nearly every time I'm in Whole Foods for lunch now.

Wednesday when I was in the store shopping I saw they had changed their menu to feature new fall items.  Fish Taco's caught my eye (one of my all time fav's) so all morning I had it in mind to order those for lunch.  However, when I sat down the chef told me about today's special...and I was sold. 

Sorry, I know my pictures stink. I've got to remember to carry my camera with me so I can have better "show and tell"
Prepare yourself for this menu, okay...Pan seared salmon over Israeli couscous with sauteed spinach and tomatoes, all garnished with a roasted red pepper sauce.  I mean, it's like a fancy Saturday night entree, on a Friday afternoon.  Plus, look at the photos of this plate!  The presentation is like that of a 5 Star restaurant. It's true you eat with your eyes first, and my eyes were loving it

This might have been the best salmon I have ever had!  And I've had a lot of salmon.  It had the best crispy outside, to compliment a moist inside.  The couscous was de-lish with green peas, mint and a little pesto mixed in.  The tomatoes and spinach were quickly sauteed in a pan with a little oil and balsamic vinegar, and was a perfect companion to the luscious salmon fillet.

The perk to the meal is that you sit right in front of the chefs as they prepare it.  He was kind enough to share with me his secret to getting the salmon SO CRISP on the outside but still moist inside.  The trick is to have a screaming hot pan when you add the salmon.  He also noted to make sure and pat salmon completely dry before putting it in the hot pan.  Then let it cook seasoned side down UNDISTURBED (no poking or prodding) for 3-4 minutes, then flip it and put it into a 425 degree oven to finish cooking through. 

Best salmon method, bar none!  I've got to try this one night next week.

One other great aspect of the Grill is that should you choose, you can walk 10 feet over to the fresh fish counter, pick your fish out, and walk it back over the chef for him to prepare for you.  I think it's so cool to be able to pick your own fish.  I've never not wanted to venture off yummy menu to do that, but I'm optimistic someday I'll get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment