Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The quintessential Bloody Mary

I have a confession to make.  Until the last two months, I didn't even like Bloody Mary's.  I love everything that makes up a Bloody Mary so it drove me crazy that I didn't care for them. 

Finally, my taste buds have come around!  I drank my first Bloody Mary at a Titans game a few weeks ago, and have been hooked every since.  I feel I must share that I haven't been drinking Bloody Mary's for long in the interest of full disclosure that I might not be a well-seasoned judge.  That said, I'm still pretty confident my husband and several of our friends have cornered the market on making the best. 

This isn't entirely our "secret recipe" per se, but a mix of how we've observed others make it.  My husband mixed and matched his favorite techniques to make one of his own.  A hybrid, if you will. 

Our tips for perfect Bloody Mary's

Numero Uno, most important Bloody Mary must, ZING ZANG mixThere is no other mix worthy of my Grey Goose Vodka. 

Second tip is to use a decent tasting vodka.  I prefer Grey Goose.  Absolut is a close second.

Thirdly, the add-ins.  We believe perfect mix-ins are a couple of shakes of Tabasco Hot Sauce and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.  Top it off with and a squeeze of a fresh Lime. 

Assembly: My husband pours all the ingredients in one glass, then pours the mixture over ice into a second glass.  Last but not least, pour them back and fourth between glasses a few times to get it mixed thoroughly and icy cold.

Here's a pic of Jim's game day mixing station. 


There are plenty of schools of thought about what makes the perfect drink garnish.  Celery, olives, carrots, shrimp, and on and on...  On this particular game day, I added in a big juicy dill pickle to munch on as I worked my way down the glass.  May sound a little crazy, but it was delightful.


How do you like your Bloody Mary's?  Please share you tips with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment