Monday, November 22, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

No, no, not THAT time.  The time when all the Christmas season cooking magazines hit my mailbox.  Over the last week I've had my nose buried in my favorite magazines.  Sure the other 11 months of the year are good, but magazines pull out the best stuff for the holidays.  I literally live for the day my December Southern Living comes in the mail each year.  Thursday was the big day.  I wasn't able to fully comb through the pages of the issue until over the weekend though.  Southern Living, along with Better Homes and Gardens and Food Network Magazine dominated my weekend free time.  Delightfully dominated, might I add.

What? I've told you already... My name is Amanda and I'm addicted to food magazines

If I had to recommend one purchase between all the Christmas cooking magazines I've gotten so far it would be the Southern Living issue.  They have, once again, the best collection of recipes for any and every occasion.  On the flip side, Better Homes let me down.  They seem to be focused more on decor and less of food these days.  Boo.

You might not subscribe to every darn southern cooking magazine out there, like me.  So I thought I would compile a list for you of some of the things I'm going to be noshing on this December.  It's the time of year we are all looking for items to bake, take, and gift.  You might find some inspiration in these recipes.

There are tons more than this, but unfortunately not every magazine has there December recipes online yet.  Here are the best of what I could find online for you...

Savory

I love sweet and savory combo of blue cheese and apples, pears or honey. 
So these Ricotta, Gorgonzola, and Honey Spread with Apples and Walnuts are a must.

OR, Gorgonzola Pear Toasts

Here are Southern Livings Best-Ever Scone Recipe with 8 sweet and savory variations. 
I'm a savory girl myself so I'm for sure making the bacon, cheddar and chive scone.

Going Greek? Hummus, Gyro Sauce, Lamb and Lettuce. 
All my favorite Greek ingredients combined to make this Greek Layered Dip with Pita Chips

I just know these crunchy little bites would be a quintessential "Sunday morning in the south" appetizer. 
Bacon-Grits Fritters 

Baked Goat Cheese Dip

A Christmas morning breakfast at Mom's must, Cheddar Cheese Grits Casserole

Sweets

Peanut butter cookies wrapped around a bite sized snickers... oh yeah!
Candy Bar-Peanut Butter Cookies

The ever popular Thumbprint cookie.  You can change the flavor of preserves to your favorite!

Super easy, Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark

Great cake for a gift. Giada De Laurentiis' Ricotta Orange Pound Cake

Move over Paula Abdul, Red Velvet is the big comeback of 2010! 
These Red Velvet Cupcakes look rich and decadent

If you want to kick Red Velvet up a notch, go with these impressive
Red Velvet Souffles with Whipped Sour Cream


Honorable mention

I made this Cheesecake last year, and I still think of it from time to time.  It was spectacular! 
A popular after-dinner drink, turned cheesecake.  Brandy Alexander Cheesecake





No comments:

Post a Comment