Monday, November 1, 2010

Mini Bacon and Cheese Toasts

Long time, no talk!  After a week away for work I am happy to be back and COOKING.  Before I get to talking about healthy stuff I'll be having this week, I must share with you a tasty little treat I made last week.  (That healthy stuff can wait 'til Tuesday!)

Tis the season for itty-bitty party food, snacks and appetizers and these would be perfect for all occasions.  They are wonderful out of the oven or at room temperature, which makes them great for buffets or making ahead to take to a party.  I made these to serve with a big pot of Chili for my bunko group.  Yes, I could have done grilled cheeses, but I wanted something a little more grown-up and gourmet than a Kraft single between two pieces of white bread.  (I'm not bashing the good 'ole grilled cheese here, it just didn't fit the occasion this time.) 

I found this recipe in the back of Everyday Food Magazine over a year ago and cut it out knowing someday I would have the perfect party for them.  I tweaked the amount of bacon a bit from the original recipe.  Because we southern girls love our bacon! 

Mini Bacon and Cheese Toasts
Makes 50 mini toasts.  Allow 2-3 per person. 
(Us 11 bunko girls demolished all 50 on our own)

10 oz block extra sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (You can use regular Extra Sharp Cheddar if no White Cheddar is available.  Buy good quality cheese like Cabot or Cracker Barrel.  No store brand!)

2-4 slices cooked bacon coarsely chopped (recipe called for 2 pieces, I used 4)

1 small white onion coarsely chopped

1 loaf cocktail bread, rye or pumpernickel (found in the bakery section)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine cheddar cheese, bacon slices, and onion.  Process until a smooth paste forms.  (Took me about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides once or twice.)




Arrange cocktail bread slices on two rimmed baking sheets.  Bake until crisp, but not browned, about 4-6 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Heat broiler.  Top each toast with 2 tablespoons cheese mixture.  Broil until topping is lightly browned, about 4 minutes. 

These were PERFECT for dipping in chili!


Instead of playing Bunko, I made them pumpkin carving contest.  Their pumpkins turned out so good I just had to share a picture with you.  They were not allowed to use stencils, this is all free-hand.  I'm so proud! :-)

4 comments:

  1. These sound yummy !! You may just get to taste an Albright version soon. Love the pumkins. How clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the Albright version of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pumpkins! I love a good pumpkin carving party but the snacks are really the highlight, am I right?! Love this recipe- I can't wait to try them. Thanks for the Cabot recommendation; our farm family owners appreciate your support!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jacquelyn. Cabot cheeses are wonderful! Quality cheese makes such a difference in recipes. Can really make or break it.

    ReplyDelete