Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gnocchi with white beans and spinach

You might be asking yourself, What in the world is Gnocchi?  Gnocchi are thick, soft, pillowy potato dumplings found most commonly found in Italian dishes.  For us southerners, I would compare it to the taste of mashed potatoes or potato cakes.  Think of it at a blank pallet, much like a pasta.  It takes on the flavors of whatever sauces or ingredients you add.  Bonus: It has less fat and calories per serving than pasta. 

I've had gnocchi several times in restaurants and once here at home with the Vodka Cream Sauce over top (which is great by the way, if you are not watching your fat and calories. ~sigh~ I digress.).  Over the weekend I spotted a recipe with Gnocchi in one of the healthy magazines I subscribe to, Healthy Cooking.  So last night I gave the new recipe a whirl.  It was a perfect fit for Meatless Monday at the Cherry Household. 

I stuck to the magazines directions, but when I taste tested the dish before adding in the cheese, it was bland.  Don't get me wrong, it was okay.  Many people would actually love it- as is.  But around here, we like tons spice and flavor.  So I had to jazz it up a bit...BAM!  I'll tell you the recipe according to the magazine, then I will tell you how I "BAM'ed" it up a notch. 

Before you raise your brows in doubt at the sight of melted cheese, yes, this is according to my healthy eating plan for the week.  One cup of this dish has only 307 calories and 6 grams of fat.  One cup will fill you up!  It's very hearty with the beans and potato dumplings.  It's meatless too, which is easier on the wallet and the waistline.  I never mentioned to my husband that we were partaking in "Meatless Monday", and if he noticed there was no meat he didn't mention it.  But he did compliment how much he liked it!  Score!



Gnocchi with white beans and spinach

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped (shallot is optional, I just had it laying around so I used it too)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 package (16oz) potato gnocchi (Found around the pasta in the Italian food isle.  It's boxed.)
1 package (6oz) baby spinach
1 can (15oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 
1 can (14-1/2oz) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan Cheese



In a large (non-stick would be best, TRUST ME) skillet, saute onion, garlic, and shallot in oil until tender; 4-5 minutes.




Add gnocchi; cook 5-6 minutes, stirring often until gnocchi is golden brown.


Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is wilted.





Add in beans, tomatoes and pepper; heat through.



At this point, the only thing left to do was to top with cheese and let it melt.  So I gave it a taste to be sure it had enough seasoning.  It was no where near enough for us.  So I started adding in things I thought would make it better.  But don't take my word for it.  Taste it here for yourself and add in these extras if you think it needs it. 

I stirred in about 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake, 1 teaspoon kosher salt,
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and about 2 tablespoons Light Done Right Zesty Italian Dressing.

Now it had some zip!



Sprinkle with cheeses; cover and remove from heat. 
Let stand for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.




I served ours with a side of whole wheat toast for scooping.  It would be great with a small side salad also.  This makes more than enough for 4 people. 
We really enjoyed it!  No one would never pick this out as a "light" dish. 

Tasty, low-calorie, and cheap?  Will be making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment