Monday, December 20, 2010

Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce

My husband has become the king of the smoker.  We've smoked tons of ribs, shoulders, butts and loins. But never had we smoked the king of meat...the beef tenderloin.  Mainly because we were a little scared of messing up such an expensive cut of meat.  But after years of contemplation, last weekend my husband smoked his first beef tenderloin for our little tasters get-together.  My, oh my, it was amazing!


I have to give my husband credit.  He did his fair share of research to get the timing and methodology right.  The meat was perfectly seared with a light smokey flavor, and inside it maintained a gorgeous ruby red hue.  Perfectly cooked, just on the edge of "Are you sure this is done?".  NO beef tenderloin should be cooked to medium.  I'm telling you, it should be against the law.  Rare, to medium-rare at most.  Otherwise you have wasted good meat.  If you can't do medium rare beef, save your money and buy yourself a sirloin and cook that 'til it's double-dead if you must.  Leave the good stuff for the rest of us.   

After he cooked such an amazing main course I went to work making a horseradish sauce to accompany it.  I researched a couple of different methods and I went with a sour cream base.  It's a perfect cool, creamy topping for the rich beef.  I served the tenderloin with split Hawaiian sweet rolls in case someone wanted to make a sandwich.  It was a hit at with the tasters.

Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce for Beef Tenderloin

1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and keep chilled until ready to serve.  Can be made up to a day ahead of you dinner or party.





No comments:

Post a Comment