Monday, December 27, 2010

New addiction

I tasted, tried and cooked all kinds of new dishes over all the holiday parties.  Although there are several things I tried and liked, nothing came close to how much I LOVED this little concoction.  My sister-in-law blew all our small bites and dips away this Christmas with her Ham and Pickle Pinwheels.  Yes, you read it right, ham and pickle.  God bless that Paula Deen for this recipe. 

To answer your lingering question when Paula Deen's name is associated with recipes, no. 
No stick of butter involved.

I've had a variation of this recipe before with asparagus in the middle.  Trust me, that way is yesterday's news.  The dill pickle is where it's at, my friend.  You might have an eyebrow raised at the odd combo of flavors involved here.  I understand, I was a little skeptical myself.  One bite and you will wonder how you made it so long in life without these.  These were the hit of the buffet!  My husband and I both ate our weight in them.

I would venture to say you could make these a little lower in fat without having to sacrifice flavor.  (Since the New Year's resolutions are right around the corner)  You could use reduced sodium ham and low-fat cream cheese.

Recipe link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/ham-and-pickle-pinwheel-appetizers-recipe/index.html

If you like pickles and ham, I double dog dare you to make these and not fall in love.  I can't wait for the next small gathering to whip these up.  That's right, next gathering.  Because I could never trust myself not to eat all of them if these were just hanging around my house.

Thanks for my new snack addiction, Sal!

No comments:

Post a Comment