Friday, October 8, 2010

Lobster and Shrimp Ravioli with Vodka Cream Sauce.

A couple of our friends are spending the long weekend in our favorite vacation spot, Sandestin Florida.  That got me thinking about a meal we have each time we are in Sandestin.  The Lobster Ravioli at Grafitti in Sandestin is one of our favorite meals of all time.  It might be the vacation atmosphere or getting to share the meal with our great friends, but something about that place makes it magical every time. 

Since I had the meal on my mind this week I decided to try and re-create a similar dish for us here at home last night.  I had a horrible day yesterday so I knew I needed a great meal and a glass bottle of wine. 

A picture doesn't do this dish any justice. 
If you had a scratch and sniff computer screen, you would be dying for this dish right now!

I created this dish with a little help from the store.  Yes, I've made homemade ravioli before with wonton wrappers that turns out wonderfully.  However, this week when I was at Whole Foods I spotted a box of fresh Shrimp and Lobster Ravioli.   Why go to all that trouble myself with these gems staring at me?  I decided to take the easy route.  Buy the ravioli and make my own sauce to dress it.

Now for the sauce.  Rachel Ray's "You won't be single for long Vodka Cream Sauce" is one of my favorite sauces to make at home.  It tastes like something you would order out at a nice Italian restaurant.  Plus, its super quick to prepare.  I've heard some of my friends comment this sauce does not turn out the same for them when they cook it.  Make sure you take the time to reduce the vodka down as instructed. Cooking out the alcohol and concentrating the flavor is what makes this dish perfect.

If you don't have ravioli, you can follow her instructions for Penne pasta. I've had the sauce over lasagna also instead of a traditional marinara sauce.  DELISH!  The possibilities are endless!
Recipe Link:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html

Preparing the sauce takes literally 10 minutes, start to finish.  You can boil the raviolis as you make the sauce.  Which makes this a lightning fast meal to prepare.  Perfect for busy week nights.  Here are some of my pics along the cooking process.  As you can see in the end I finished my plate off with a healthy sprinkle of fresh Parmesan Cheese. 

This is the brand I found in Whole Foods, by the fresh cheese section. 
It was full of seafood!  I was skeptical, but these were great.


You'll know fresh ravioli is done cooking when it starts floating around the surface like above.


Cheese Please!

If you want to impress dinner guests or your honey on a date night this is PERFECT! 
Warning, don't make it unless you want people hounding you for more. 

I had plenty of sauce left over so I'm going to turn what's left into a meal for Sunday night.  I'll share with you next week how I made this sauce work a double-shift for me.

1 comment: