Friday, October 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cake Balls

Tonight it's my turn to host my bunko group.  I'm doing a Halloween themed night but wanted to make a dessert that doesn't scream "Halloween theme" with the same old pumpkin something

I found a recipe for Red Velvet Cake Balls on Bakerella's website. Bakerella was a pioneer in the whole Cake Ball trend so I knew the recipe would be fabulous, no taste testing needed.  It was still a little spooky, dark chocolate on the outside and red on the inside. Okay, spooky might be a stretch, but they are fabulous!  Really these girls couldn't care less about themes as long as the food is yum.

The recipe could not be simpler.  But note, I did make one small change to the dipping chocolate. 

She called for Chocolate Bark.  What the?  Chocolate Bark?  I have no idea what that is, and it's no where in the store.  I searched the baking isle to just make sure I wasn't crazy. 

So for the dipping chocolate, you will need 1, plus another 1/2 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening.  Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in a microwave safe bowl. Start with microwaving 1 minute, stir well, then go in 30 second increments until melted.  Watch carefully, chocolate burns easy.  Once that's smooth you are ready to dip. Just proceed with recipe as normal.
(Yes, shortening grosses me out too, but it's necessary evil when you make dipping chocolate with chocolate chips)

Recipe Link:
 http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake-balls/

Here are my photos along the process, step-by step.  I made the cake and rolled out the balls Tuesday and dipped them in Chocolate Thursday.  You can make these way ahead of time if you need to and freeze them in an air tight container. 

Perhaps it is spooky?  Looks like blood to me!













I know this is my food blog but I can't help but show off my table centerpiece my super talented sister, Karen  made for me.  To assemble she hollowed out a green Cinderella pumpkin and used "coffee break" roses with seeded eucalyptus greenery. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!  Are those roses gorgeous or what?






1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I am so wishing I was in your bunko group right about now.

    ReplyDelete