Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eating my way through Minnesota

Disclaimer: Blogspot is acting super wacky today and all my fonts are mixed and matched.  I can't figure it out?  But the show must go on...

So, my good friend Laura and I took a girl’s trip to the twin cities over the weekend. Laura’s Mother lives in Saint Paul and she is has been gracious enough to invite me to visit with Laura several times.  Now, I know Minnesota might not stand out to you as a "vacation destination" per se, but the twin cities have quickly turned into one of my favorite places to get away.  

Since this is my food blog, I'll try and stick to the amazing dishes I had.  To keep this a brief as possible, I will give you my Twin Cities Must List:

You MUST stop in Patina: 
Patina is far and away the best gift shop I’ve visited! There is something for everyone here. While my bank account was rejoicing, I was sad that I had minimal room in my carry-on for purchases. 
Even though the website can't compare the actual store, here is a link http://www.patinastores.com/index.php

 
You MUST lunch at Salute (and order the Cobb Salad)
First stop Saturday was lunch at Salut.  It was a gorgeous fall day and the restaurant had all the doors to the charming outdoor patio open.  We could have sat outside, but since it was a College Football game day, and we are southern girls, we opted for seating in the bar area with televisions. 
 For starters we had their famous Pommes Frites(we call 'em french fries round these parts).  The menu boasts that Salut is the home of "The Best Fries in the Twin Cities".  They were correct.  No, I've not had all the French fries in the twin cities.  But I know a good fry when I have one.  These could not be beat. To make them extra sinful, they serve the fries with a side of homemade Béarnaise sauce.  To die for!



Entrée time!  We’ve lunched here before while visiting, and I remember this Cobb Salad vividly as the best one I’ve ever had.  The salad was dressed lightly with a homemade Green Goddess dressing instead of the traditional Blue Cheese or Ranch. 


You MUST eat at Chino Latino (and go into the crazy bathrooms)
Chino Latino is the most original restaurant I’ve ever been to.  (Yes, this is another restaurant we’ve been to before while in Minnesota, but it was so bizarre and good we had to go back.)  This is a place to “see and be seen” in Minneapolis.  Let’s just leave it at that.  The music is loud.  The people are beautiful and trendy.  The bathrooms are, let’s just say “memorable”.  I don’t want to spoil anyone’s surprise if you are lucky enough to get there.

The food is self proclaimed as “street food from around the hot zones”.  Street food just so happens to be my favorite thing. 

For appetizers we went with two lettuce wrap dishes.  One with beef, one with an eggroll type center, both delightful!  The portions sizes here are ginormous (is that even a legit word?) and meant for sharing. 



We filled up on the app’s, but of course couldn’t stop there.  For our entrée we went with the Coconut Shrimp Curry (Described as: Shrimp and rice with pineapple and red bell peppers in a sweet Thai coconut red curry sauce).   Dishes are served family style.  We each had an ample portion and barely put a dent in the bowl.  The coconut curry sauce was spicy, yet sweet. 

In a major food blogger faux pas I forgot to snap a picture of the entree before we dug into it.  Whoops. I assure you, it looked as delightful as it tasted.


Lastly, You MUST, MUST, MUST have breakfast at Key’s Café
Key's is self branded as "the food you grew up with".  What could be better than that? 

Yes, Key’s Café is diner style food.  With one BIG difference.  All fresh, all homemade.  I quite possibly had the best omelet of my life.  The Farmers omelet was bursting with diced ham, onions, hash browns and cheese.  Yes, hash browns and cheese INSIDE the omelet.  Mind blowing, right?
As a bonus to what was already the best breakfast ever, the toast was served with their homemade strawberry rhubarb jam.  Yes!

Can't make it there for during breakfast hours? You're in luck, they serve breakfast all day.  Like a good diner should...



Key's Cafe link: http://www.keyscafe.com/


I can’t discuss Saint Paul fare without giving honorable mention to the Saint Paul Grill.  We typically eat Sunday brunch here.  Check out the atmosphere and brunch menu on their website.  If you have two days in Minnesota I recommend hitting up both Key's Cafe, and Saint Paul Grill for breakfast. 

Thank you, Mrs. Thomas for another unforgettable girls weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment