Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Peanut Butter Banana Bread

Over the weekend I needed a little something sweet to take over to someone as a game day peace/good will offering (to and Alabama fan, on Alabama/Florida Gameday).  I combined two recipes for banana bread that I've had my eye on for a couple of weeks.  One recipe had a simple ingredients list that was relatively healthy for you, and the other had peanut butter.  I'm like Elvis, a sucker for mixing bananas and peanut butter.  So I combined the best of both recipes to make my own little diddy. 

I doubled this recipe so I could have some of the bread for my own game day festivities. But to my surprise, I only own one loaf pan.  I improvised by making banana bread cupcakes with the remaining bread mix.  They turned out super cute, if I do say so myself.  This post is really a two-fer recipe, you can make a loaf bread or go the cupcake route.  Either way, these are purrrrdy tasty.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf or 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
Bread:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 4 bananas)
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Peanut Butter Glaze:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a (9x5 inch) loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray for making a loaf, or line a muffin pan with cupcake foils for cupcakes. 

In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda and salt. 

In another large bowl combine butter, peanut butter, eggs, bananas, yogurt, and vanilla, whisking until smooth.




Fold flour mixture into the butter mixture until well incorporated.  I like to add flour in a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.




Pour into prepared pan or muffin tins, filling each cup about 3/4 full. 



This is a a picture of when cupcakes were coming out of the oven
Bake 20-25 minutes for cupcakes; 50 minutes for bread loaf.  (or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)  Once cool enough to handle, remove cupcakes or loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.


In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk and peanut butter with a fork until well combined.  Use the back of a spoon to thinly glaze each cupcake or bread loaf with peanut butter glaze. 





This glaze was so yummy, I think I could have eaten it off of a dirt pie. 
I've already been thinking of a thousand other things to top with it. 
Enjoy!


Banana Note:  Most mash bananas with the back of a fork.  I think that takes too long.  I used my mini food processor for the job.  Doing 1-2 bananas at a time.  It made a perfect chunky liquid mix for bread.  I think the food processor is a great alternative to using all that elbow grease on mashing up a couple bananas.




2 comments: