Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vino Lo Mein

I was undecided about what my taste buds were crying out for until the minute before I went to the grocery yesterday. Thinking ahead that morning, I thawed a chicken breast for my carnivore of a husband.  So I knew I had to do some sort of combo that could incorporate that.  Working on the fly, I created a little dish in my head. It turned out to be one of my tastiest veggie creations yet! Introducing...

Vino Lo Mein
(Vino=white wine in my glass the dish Lo Mein=cooked in my wok)


The steam messed up the photo a little, but you get the picture.
Ingredients:
1/2 box of Whole Wheat Linguini
1 Bundle of fresh Broccoli, washed, crowns cut into bit size pieces
1 Red Pepper cut in the thin ribbons
4-5 carrots, cut into little ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1 jar of Artichoke Hearts, drained
1-2 hand fulls fresh Baby Spinach
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 cup vegetable stock
1 Lemon, zest and juice
1/2 cup-1 cup dry white wine, depending on your consistency
Whatever spices you prefer, I did Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Greek Seasoning, and Oregano

Cook linguini according to package directions. Try to have to done about the same time as your stir fry part is complete.  I started boiling the water when I started washing and chopping vegetables and it was perfect timing.
Get all your veggies chopped before you start stir frying, because it does go quite fast. You can will stress yourself out trying to do both at once.
Start with about a tablespoon of canola oil in the wok, searing hot, and add broccoli and red peppers first.  They have the longest cooking time.  Let it stir fry 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute or so.  Add in the shredded carrots, artichoke hearts, and spinach.  Continue to stir fry another 2-3 minutes all veggies are cooked to your preference.  I like my done, but still with a fresh bite to them. 
In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and vegetable stock.  Pour the mixture over veggies in wok.  Let it come to a boil while adding in all lemon zest and juice, rest of your seasonings, and white wine.  Start with a 1/2 cup of wine, adding more as needed, making sure there is enough to coat all the linguini.  Let the mixture bubble in wok for 2-3 more minutes to thicken.
Lastly, toss linguini in the pot with the veggies and sauce to combine.  (Taste a bite to make sure you have enough seasoning.) Enjoy!

In case you are wondering how I incorporated my husbands chicken breast in his meal....He grilled his chicken breast with BBQ sauce and had it along side the American Lo Mein.  Here's a pic of his plate, served with his favorite beverage.  His does look quite tasty!

My husband is a great griller! Check out those grill marks.
Side note: I have to skip giving one of the Food Rules today. I let a friend borrow book last night.  I'm trying to spread the food gospel as I see it, one friend at a time :-)
Hopefully I'll have it back before tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment