Monday, August 23, 2010

The Splurge

Since I made it all week as a born again Vegetarian (except for a sushi roll Wednesday night, with fish of course) I decided to congratulate myself with an awesome date night spread for the hubbs and I Friday night.  We are crazy for seafood, nearly to a fault.  I infused my favorite Rachel Ray "You won't be single for long Vodka Cream Sauce" with some tasty grilled shrimp and lobster meat.
After a week of eating things that were really good for me, it was funny the amount of guilt I carried around from that 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream in the sauce.  But I have to say, it was worth it.



You're dying right! It was delish

To top off the great date night I also baked a pan of BROWNIES! Fear not, all is not lost. It was a low-fat, and fabulous recipe from Cooking Light.

Here is the link:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1011262

I did change a couple of things.  Instead of purchasing Instant Coffee, I just brewed a strong cup here at home and used 1/4 cup of it.  I also added about 1/4 cup of Toffee bits into the batter as well as pressing some into the top. 
At the step where you mix it all together, the mixture is so super thick!  I couldn't get it to blend so I added splashes of water, about a tablespoon at a time, until the dry ingredients could incorporate.

They were so gooey and fudgy!  Next time you have a sweet tooth I definitely recommend these little gems.

We now interrupt this perfectly peppy food blog for quick angry gripe:
I received my Southern Living magazine in the mail last Thursday.  You must understand how much I worship Southern Living; I live for the day that it's delivered each month and look forward to the Christmas issue all year!  I live and die for this magazine.  But lately, I've noticed there are fewer recipes than ever in the issues.  It also seems there is more of an emphasis on baking. 
Anyone else notice this?  I've always said it's the bible for southern cooks but lately it seems like they are trying to be more of a travel guide than the quintessential southern lady's handbook.  Humph! (I smirk, with a pouty face and hands of hips)

No comments:

Post a Comment