Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken-less Chicken Tortilla Soup

Last week, my boss was talking about a big pot of chicken tortilla soup her son was munching on while we were on our business trip. Having not much else to think about in our meetings but food, it started to plant a seed in my mind. I wanted to work on a vegetarian version. I'm not crazy about bland shredded chicken to begin with so the thought of parting with chicken in my soup was not heartbreaking to me. I started working on MY recipe in my head. Sunday I brought my creation to life.


But first, a little background. I've been reading a ton of blogs, books and articles lately about our meat industry and factory farming. It's alarming! I can't believe how uninformed we are about the things we are putting into our own body. I could go on, but I'll sit that soap box aside for a later post. I've decided that I would experiment with becoming a work week (Monday-Friday) Vegetarian; of the lacto-ovo variety (still eating dairy and eggs). I am too much of a people pleaser to be a full-time vegetarian. I would never want my family to, nor would they, change our Thanksgiving menu on my Vegetarian needs. I'm a southern girl, and you don't go messing with Mama's cooking! Same applies for going to friends houses and out to eat, I don't want to inconvenience anyone. If meat is on the menu or I want meat, I'm going to have it. But for a while, and if only during this one week alone, I'm going Vegetarian baby!

So, my soup was created for my lunch this week. This pot will last all week, even after sharing a bowl with my neighbor. If you are looking for a spicy, healthy option for Tortilla soup then I've got a recipe for you, my friend.

Disclaimer: I cook on a "chop and drop" and "eyeballing measurements" method. Don't get too caught up in my measurements. Alter ingredients and measurements to your taste buds.





Chickenless Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 Softball size sweet yellow onion; chopped
3-4 big cloves of garlic; minced
1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 vine ripe tomatoes; chopped
1 can tomato sauce
4-5 chopped Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce*
(*can kind found on in Mexican food section of your grocery)
1 carton of Vegetable Stock
1-2 cups water
1 package of extra firm tofu
1 bunch of fresh kale
Cumin
Kosher Salt/Fresh Pepper; to taste
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves; chopped

Wash up all your produce and get a large cutting board situated next to a big Dutch oven or pot.  Start with a tablespoon or so of Olive Oil in the pot and chop and dump in your onion and garlic.  Saute until tender and translucent.  From there dump in all your tomatoes, Chipotle peppers, stock and water.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Meanwhile, rinse and pat dry the tofu.  Cut into small cubes.  Heat a non-stick skillet with a little cooking spray over medium high heat.  Saute tofu cubes, a single layer at a time until they start to brown up on all side.  Scoop tofu into pot and return to a boil.  Add in all seasoning and cilantro leaves.  Let simmer covered for 30-45 minutes.  Taste for salt or any other additional needed spices about half way through.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with whatever toppings you like.  I did, 1/2 of 1/2 of an avocado, vegan shredded cheese (which was surprisingly good) and crushed up blue corn tortilla chips.

I had leftover soup for lunch today.  Think it's even better the second day!  Enjoy.

-Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment